The Type 85 is a Chinese main battle tank prototype with a Type 80 chassis, welded turret, and 105 mm rifled main gun. Since the project was intended to be an export model and the Chinese government did not fund the project originally, this prototype was reportedly borrowed from a museum. When tests were completed, the vehicle was returned to the museum without the main gun, and a photo of this vehicle was circulated on the internet in the early 2000's.
The Type 85 is your average Joe of a tank. It doesn't have much that's neither good nor bad about it. Only things that really stand out is the good maneuverability and the bad reverse speed. This tank is very flexible, it can flank, snipe, or support. The only thing it can't effectively do is fight head on, as its armor isn't the best.
Pros and Cons
- Good health pool
- Excellent agility, with great acceleration and fast hull traverse
- Usual turret rotation speed of Chinese MBTs
- Though not much of a pro, HEAT ammo can actually be loaded unlike its predecessors
- Armor is horrible all round, not even frontal armor is very effective (unlike its predecessors) no reactive armor upgrades, spaced armor is not very reliable either
- Alpha damage is low, DPM is noticeably underwhelming
- Slow reverse speed, like the Soviet/Russian MBTs