Object 279 (Объект 279) was a Soviet experimental heavy tank developed at the end of 1959. This special purpose tank was intended to fight on cross country terrain, inaccessible to conventional tanks, acting as a heavy breakthrough tank, and if necessary withstanding even the shockwave of a nuclear explosion. It was planned as a tank of the Supreme Command Reserve. One of the reasons that this tank project was abandoned, as with other heavy tank projects, was the fact that the Soviet military stopped operating with heavy fighting vehicles of that type, tanks and similar, as of 1960. Since then, the heaviest ones are kept at about 50 metric tons of weight, that is without counting in any extra equipment such as additional reactive armor, mine clearing devices (mine ploughs, mine rollers) etc.
In-game, the Object 279 is rarely seen due to the new update, in the new update the Object 279 has been moved to the Premium line and has been made more expensive so players who originally bought the tanks are lucky. But once you purchase the tank it is deadly on the battlefield. The thick all round sloped armor prevents enemy vehicles to do high damage to it.. As the tracks aren't covered, these are easy to disable. The gun causes 60 or higher damage at the stock level, and this will kill an opponent in 2, 3, or 4 shots, depending on the enemy's health pool. For a heavy tank, the speed is high. Only the HE shell can be bought for this tank. Using the high speed a (skilled) player can circle around the enemy vehicle and take him down. When circulating around the opponent, the reload time is the main problem. This tank can be used in close combat, or in large scale combat.
- Before update 2.0 many players thought that the Object 279 is underpowered, especially its armor and health pool. Now in the the recent rendition of the game the Object 279 has been heavily buffed and priced making it one of the most deadly tanks on the battlefield.
Pros and Cons
- Amazing spaced armor, with having two tiers of it at under level 20
- Fast speed, most especially for such a big and heavy tank
- Turret rotation is respectable for a heavy as well
- Very low health pool for a heavy tank
- Low alpha damage with a fairly slow reload as well, poor DPM