The FV4201 Chieftain was the main battle tank of the United Kingdom during the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's. It was one of the most advanced tanks of its era, and at the time of its introduction in 1966 had the most powerful main gun and most effective armor of any tank in the world. The Chieftain also introduced a supine (reclining backwards) driver position, enabling a heavily sloped hull with reduced height. The Chieftain replaced the venerable Centurion that had served as Britain's MBT for many years. It remained in service until replaced by the FV4030 Challenger 1, which was itself derived from the Chieftain.
The Chieftain is arguably one of the best tanks for its level. The well-protected turret and frontal armor repels HEAT shells fairly reliably. To use this vehicle, use its fast reloading speed to kill enemy tanks in a short amount of time. This tank is very useful in close combat, due its great frontal armor and fast reload, however it is not very effective when used as a sniper in larger scale maps as the gun loses accuracy at even medium range. Another problem is the Chieftain's slow speed, though it has nice acceleration going both forwards and backwards. Watch out for flanking and ambushing tanks as well, as the Chieftain's side armor is very weak besides its spaced armor.
The Chieftain is a highly dangerous tank in the hands of a capable driver. Though it maxes out at level 38, in actual use it can fairly easily defeat some tanks several levels higher. The agility of the Chieftain is alright but lacking, as is the turret rotation speed. The alpha damage of the gun is rather low, but the reload speed definitely makes up for it and actually gives it a respectable DPM unlike other British main battle tanks. All three of those attributes work to the Chieftain's advantage in ultra-close quarters. Circling enemies is somewhat tricky thanks to the Chieftain's subpar agility, so compensate by using its good acceleration by moving around randomly to throw off an enemy's aim at the last moment.
Pros and Cons
- Very well-protected turret and upper frontal armor
- Good spaced armor protection at front, decent protection at sides and rear
- Fast reload speed that compensates for low alpha damage
- Fast acceleration, both forwards and in reverse
- Fairly versatile with multiple roles
- Penetration values of HEAT ammunition are disappointing, not much improvement from AP ammo
- Accuracy is lacking at medium range
- Weak side and rear armor when spaced armor is not taken into account
- Stock engine is slow, upgrade adds power but not much
- Agility is deficient, can easily be ambushed/flanked