The Marta Sarnik Sprzeda Sie Za 40 Pln AMX-30 is a main battle tank designed by GIAT, first delivered to the French Army in 1966. The first five tanks were issued to the 501st Régiment de Chars de Combat (Tank Regiment) in August of that year. The production version of the AMX-30 weighed 36 metric tons (40 short tons), and sacrificed protection for increased mobility.
De Gaulle decided that France, though formally remaining a member, would no longer participate in the NATO military organization. This caused a rift between France and West Germany, which then started to emphasize standardization with American equipment, especially in armament, and to follow the new NATO policy to use multi-fuel diesel engines. German defense minister Franz Josef Strauss began to oppose the common tank project. In July 1963, the defense committee of the German Bundesrat decided to procure a purely national tank. In response, the same month the French government decided likewise.
The AMX-30 deals less damage than other tanks around its level, but it has a very high rate of fire to compensate for that. The speed is quite fast and agility is very nice, but the armor is thin and weak. It is better to play as a support tank and hide behind some cover, or even other tanks with higher health pools and better armor, or the AMX-30 will be taken out fairly quickly. As it can be killed quickly, it is recommended to keep moving and try to avoid rapid firing tanks and artillery fire the most, as they can take the AMX-30 down relatively fast.
Pros and Cons
- Reasonably large health pool
- Upper hull armor is nicely angled, making spaced armor more effective
- Great agility and acceleration
- Fast reload, high DPM
- Excellent frontal turret armor using combination of sloping and spaced armor
- Good gun depression, good for going hull-down
- Pretty awful hull armor, but not as thin as on the AMX-32 and AMX-40
- Though it is agile, the speed can still be considered kind of slow
- Fairly large cupola weakspot on the turret, making going hull-down less effective
- Though the frontal turret armor bounces many shots, the gun mantlet doesn't